For a limited time, sign up for a 12-month maintenance plan and get your first month for FREE!  See Details

Champaign
402 Staley Rd.
Champaign, IL 61822
(217) 355-9700

Mattoon
301 S. 21st St.
Mattoon, IL 61938
(217) 235-9705

Monticello
1751 N. Market St.
Monticello, IL 61856
(217) 762-2611

Mahomet
307 E. Oak St.
Mahomet, IL 61853
(217) 355-9700

Sign of Bad Wiring in Your Home

Sign of Bad Wiring in Your Home

January 3, 2022 | Electrical

Whether you are in the process of buying a house, or have lived in your current home for years, you should always be concerned about the integrity of your electrical wiring. Here are some warning signs your home is giving you to indicate faulty wiring. If you notice any of these signs, don’t hesitate to call a Mattex technician!

Flickering or Buzzing Lights

One of the first signs you may notice that may indicate that you have faulty wiring is flickering, dimming, or buzzing lights. This may mean that your wiring is outdated or damaged. In the 1960s and 1970s, it wasn’t uncommon for aluminum wiring to be used in place of copper wiring due to the price difference. Aluminum wiring has been found to be a fire risk and according to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, homes with aluminum wiring have 55 times more chance to experience electrical fire damage. You may also notice this when trying to use multiple appliances at one time. Another point to keep in mind is whether or not it is a single fixture that is experiencing the flickering, or if you notice it in multiple rooms. If you can narrow down the problem to one fixture, you may just have a problem with that light, and not the wiring in your home.

 

Multiple Circuit Breaker Trips

When a circuit breaker trips, it is because it is trying to protect your home’s wiring and appliances whether that be from a short circuit or an electrical surge from a lightning strike. Without your circuit breaker tripping, you may be likely to experience a fire or a torched appliance. It may be cause for concern however, if you notice a circuit tripping more than once a month. This could be from an overloaded circuit, ground fault, or something else entirely. You’ll want to be sure to call a Mattex electrician to investigate the cause.

Problem Outlets

Do you have some outlets in your home that look like they have been burnt? This is a sign that, for whatever reason, your wiring has been damaged and it is releasing heat through the outlet. You can also go through each room and carefully touch the wall outlets to see if you feel heat or vibrations. This will also tell you if you have a wiring issue. Finally, did you know that kitchens and bathrooms should have a special kind of wall outlet? This is because kitchens and bathrooms are near a water source and water is a great conductor of electricity! These outlets, called GFCI’s, offer shock resistance by sensing electrocution. The GFCI outlet will then trip the circuit to stop the flow of electricity. If you have an older home, you may not have the GFCI outlets in your kitchens and bathrooms because they weren’t required at the time.

Other Signs

Here are a few other things to keep an eye out for if you are concerned about the wiring in your home. If you notice any frayed or damaged wires you should call an electrician immediately. This is a huge shock and fire hazard waiting to happen! Frayed and damaged wires are often caused by pests such as mice and squirrels, but could also be caused by pets or an inexperienced electrician. That’s why it is so important to hire a licensed electrician who is experienced and one that you can trust! A more obvious sign of faulty wiring is if you go to touch a metal object that is hardwired and you get shocked. This is a good sign that your wiring isn’t grounded properly.