Preventing & Treating Frozen Pipes
In lower temperatures, pipes are highly susceptible to damage. Ensuring you properly protect your pipes from cold weather is vital to keeping your home safe and protected from serious damage.
Before Cold Weather Hits
As temperatures drop, there are six steps that can help you prevent frozen or bursting pipes:
- Locate your main water shut-off valve, in case of emergency
- Wrap exposed pipes with insulations or heat tape to protect areas that might be prone to freezing
- Keep a small trickle of water running through faucets on colder nights
- Leave cabinet doors open where pipes run through
- Make sure you’ve shut off and fully drained irrigation systems
- Invest in a backup power supply to help keep your home warm during unexpected power outages learn more about generators from Mattex.
What to do if your pipes freeze
If your pipes freeze, it’s time to take action! Don’t let your pipes thaw on their own– you could run the risk of a burst pipe and more extensive damage to your plumbing!
- First, turn on your water faucets. This will help you locate the frozen pipe. Plus, moving water can speed up the thawing process.
- Find the frozen pipe(s). They’re usually in an outside wall, under a sink or in an unheated crawl space.
- Safely apply heat to the frozen pipes by using one or more of the following:
- Electric heating pads
- Electric hair dryers
- Portable space heaters
- Towels soaked in hot water
- DO NOT use a blow torch or other open heat source, as these can damage your plumbing and cause pipes to burst.
What to do if your pipes burst
- First, find your main water valve and immediately turn off your water supply.
- Contact a professional plumber immediately to come repair your pipes. Mattex offers 24/7 emergency plumbing service to help prevent further damage from a burst pipe and repair your home quickly.
With the proper action plan, frozen pipes can be prevented or quickly treated. If your pipes are frozen or have burst, call the top-rated, most trusted and most trained team in Central Illinois. Mattex’s team of experienced plumbers can help protect your home quickly from water damage and find the best solution to your plumbing issues.